Clinical Laboratory Sciences Bachelor of Science Degree
- Requirements for this baccalaureate degree program are current for Fall 2012
- Required credits to graduate with this degree: 120
- Program Requirements: 80 credits
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
A minimum cumulative and science GPA of 2.5 is required for consideration when applying to the CLS professional program. However, since we have limited space available in the program students usually need GPAs of 3.0 or higher to be competitive for admission. See the CLS application page for additional information about the selection process.
Students must also complete the Liberal Education requirements prior to Year 4 or the professional year of the program. A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required for graduation. For information about University of Minnesota admission requirements, visit the Office of Admissions Web site.
All students are required to complete general University and college requirements including writing and liberal education courses. For more information about University-wide requirements, see the liberal education requirements.
The following courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher along with the Liberal Education requirements for the Freshman and Sophomore years by the end of spring semester:
Chemistry – 14 credits
- CHEM 1061 + 1065 - Chemical Principles I with Laboratory (4)
- CHEM 1062 + 1066 - Chemical Principles II with Laboratory (4)
- CHEM 2301 - Organic Chemistry I (3)
- CHEM 2302 - Organic Chemistry II (3)
Quantitative Requirement – 7 or 8 credits
- MATH 1051 – Pre-Calculus I (4) or
- MATH 1142 - Short Calculus (4) or
- MATH 1271 - Calculus I (4)
- STAT 3011 - Introduction to Statistical Analysis (4) or
- ESPY 3264 – Basic & Applied Statistics (3)
General Biology – 4 credits
- BIOL 1009 – General Biology (4)
Human Physiology - 4 credits
- PHSL 3051 - Human Physiology (4)
The following courses are taken during Year 3 of the CLS program and must be successfully completed with a grade of C or higher for progression or direct admission into Year 4 of the CLS Program:
Upper Division Requirements – 11 credits
If you have further questions regarding prerequisites or program requirements please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BIOC 3021 - Biochemistry (3)
- Microbiology with Lab
- MICB 3301 - Biology of Microorganisms (5) or
- VBS 2032 – General Microbiology with Laboratory (5)
- BIOL 4003 - Genetics (3) or
- GCD 3022 - Genetics (3)